July 2015

I went into Seattle for the orientation day at CenturyLink Field. Having arrived early, I then went across to the area near Alki for some lunch. I vaguely remember having lunch there many years ago with Doris and Stewart. GOOD fish’n’chips! This picture is from just up the hill from there. Click on it to see the wide view.

OK, so I still have tons of time to wander around the area near the stadium. Not only did the building catch my eye, but so did the fire escape. So you come down from the top on the stairs, only to stop on the landing at about level 2. Then what? Stay there and burn? Wait for the Fire Brigade to put up a ladder and rescue you? Or drop 2-3 floors and break a leg? I would like to think that help arrives before you get to that decision.

At the orientation, we had the opportunity for a photo op, on the basis that we had all been selected for our talents, and that as far as Guest Services was concerned, we were all Draft Picks.

Just a day before my first shift at the stadium, Julie picked up a temp job for the same Seattle Sounders soccer match, so we drove in together. I worked on one of the gates until the match started and then went for a meal break. Meanwhile, Julie had been on Security on the other side, doing bag searches (and looking directly into the setting sun!), and texted me to say that she was finishing. Ugh! I’ve still got 2 hours to go. I asked to leave early, so we got home earlier than expected. She is now applying to be a permanent, so that she can fit temp jobs around it.

And then we come to the Fourth of July celebrations. We gathered up chairs and supplies early(ish) and headed for downtown Everett for the parade. I still can’t handle the “hand on the heart” thing, but I did at least honour the flag by giving it my very best salute as it went past. These pictures show some of the highlights of the parade.

I had been explaining via email to Paul that I was going to be around for quite a while yet. Check out that lifeline!

My first view of the field.

April’s “garden” on the balcony.

Angel mastering a new essential life skill. You can see the floppy left back foot following.


I worked in the middle section of the seating on the actual field for the One Direction concert. The sound of 35,000 teenage girls all screaming at the same time had my eardrums crackling. Still, they were a very well behaved audience, although someone had stuffed up the seating in our section, putting all the seat numbers in reverse order. So, there we were, with only 20 minutes or so before the main event started, with people who had paid extra for seats 1 & 2 (with a MUCH better view of the stage and the band), sitting in seats 21-22 on the very edge of the seating. Would you be pissed off? Yeah, I would too, and so were they. It took lots of diplomacy to get it sorted out as much as we could before One Direction came on.

Some entertainment while we waited.


Would you believe, he was counselled for this!

See? Thousands of teenage girls.

Meanwhile, Julie had an interview with a Homeopathic Doctor, who basically hired her on the spot, with one condition, that she quit smoking immediately. Wow, how long have I been saying that? Hmm.

I also worked another Sounders soccer match. This time, I was placed in an area that for Seahawks games is called the Hawks Nest, and for the Sounders, it is called the Green Zone. I had fun, although at one point during the first half, I had to ask a bunch of guys to sit down, because the rest of the Section was sitting. The local rule in each Section is “majority rules”, so again I had to use my most diplomatic tone to ask them to “Sit Down, comma, Please.” They complained, but did oblige. Then I noticed another couple on the front row of the next Section, also standing up, and proceeded to ask them to sit down as well. Because it was just the 2 of them, I asked around at half time in the back row, and found some spare seats, where of course they COULD stand up without blocking anyone else’s view. So when play resumed, I went down and offered them those seats, and they were pleased to accept.

Duncan was playing at family friend Angel’s place on her trampoline, attempted a flip, and landed badly with a support wire cutting the back of his ankle rather badly. Mike and I were on the way back there after running an errand, so it ended up as an extended family visit to the clinic that Julie and I frequent, for a total of 6 stitches in the ankle, plus crutches for 2 weeks, and NO running, skating or hockey for 3 weeks. That put a real hole in the last few weeks of his Pro Edge sessions, although they have continued to attend, so that Duncan could support his team mates.

And tonight, as I prepared to go to work for the night shift job, I got a call from the agency to say that because the company had noticed that I was not able to be there for full shifts all of the time, they had asked that my employment be terminated. It seems that for them, numbers take priority over people, which is OK, because although the work was interesting and varied, and the colleagues were mostly great, the shifts were killing my poor old body. And I figure I can get plenty of work at events at various other stadiums.

For the next 2 weeks, I will be unpacking, repairing and repacking tents and marquees, in preparation for State Fair at Monroe. Heavy work, but at least it’s daytime!

Looking North from the stadium. It took a LOT of tries to catch both of those flags extended at the same time.

Looking South from the top of the stands with Mt Rainier peeping out.

The view from my station on the lower level for the International soccer match, during pre-match preparations.

Look past the screen and see the cruise ships in port on a Sunday.

A full lower bowl for the Sounders match.

Buddy doing his cute thing.

Mole holes in the lawn up the street, similar to what we had in our own front lawn.

The troops and I left Julie at home to catch up on sleep, and went with Angel and her family to the SeaFair Torchlight Parade. It’s a dusk through to street lighted parade celebrating the annual SeaFair speedboat racing on Lake Washington this weekend.








Julie has insisted that I tell this story. Despite our repeated requests to “not let the cat out”, Duncan managed to do that one day. As soon as we noticed that Buddy was missing, there was a quick search of the house, and then Julie looked outside and saw him heading across the back yard. “Rodney!” “Cat!” Apparently, I went bounding down the steps, sprinted across the yard, up the slope at the back, and did a diving tackle to grab his harness, just as he was about to vanish though a hole in the fence. Julie said she’d never seen me move that fast.

OK, just goes to show, don’t make assumptions. The job at Monroe has nothing to do with the upcoming State Fair! It is a small company occupying space on the airfield across the road, and they make Compact All-Purpose Mobile Shelter Structures (CAMSS). They have a video shoot during week 2 of my stint there, and have taken on 3 temps to handle the extra work. I have been working in the metal workshop, cutting and drilling frame components, and packing orders. My CenturyLink Field training session was scheduled for Wednesday, and clashed with the shoot on Wednesday and Thursday afternoon and evening, so I earned some brownie points with the boss by rescheduling it for the following week. Picture is of one of their previous structures, in steel rather than the current aluminium (or aluminum as it is spelled and pronounced here), just across the runway.

“Can you tell that we share a bathroom with a BOY?”

The house has been quiet for the last few days, and Mike and friend Dan have taken Duncan and his 2 friends camping.