October 2004
Home Up January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004


Thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to hit the open road again. Went just over half way to Melbourne on Friday afternoon & stopped when it got dark. Then on Saturday, took a bit of a detour through the mountains on the way into Melbourne for Lisa's 21st birthday party. As expected, a great time. Wonderful family & I am so pleased to see that Simon has become an integral part of it. Then on Sunday, headed for Jamieson for an overnight at the Sanctuary. And took advantage of the public holiday Monday to mosey on for the remaining 6 hours to Canberra.

I was too tired today to start on circuits, which are very demanding & would have been even more so today because of the winds, so Tony & I took the plane out on a photo mission to take some photos of a friend's farm. So I finally remembered to have the camera in action to get some photos of me actually flying the plane. You can see the concentration! We even got a couple of reasonable shots of the farm as well.

Julie & I are now starting to put together firm plans for Christmas & the New Year. I arrive in Seattle on Dec 16th, just in time for our anniversary on the 18th, by which time she should have most of her "stuff" in order, suitably sorted into categories, like leave, throw, carry & shift. During the few days before Christmas, I'll be working with the movers on the actual uplift. Then we're hiring a car, spending Christmas with Bob & Ada at Whidbey Island & then taking 12 days to cruise on down via San Francisco for New Year's Eve, to LA for the flight home on Jan 6th.

Even with all of this forward planning, I still manage to drop back into the low periods when the stress gets too much. Ages ago, Bev described my condition not as depression, but as passionate sadness, which is just as appropriate today, just not as deeply sad. I really am enjoying putting my life back together again. Doris of course is still very much around, which I find is a constant source of comfort as well. Julie reminded me recently that it was just 12 months since we first met. How far we have both come in that time!

It's funny. Stewart & I have done a swap this week. His washing is up to date & I have a pile of dirty laundry on my bedroom floor. I seem to have gotten an attack of the lazies. I've also been struggling with a huge range of emotions again. Perhaps it was a bit premature to wean myself off the anti-depressant medication, so I've gone back on it. I feel like I'm getting to the point that I have enjoyed being in my own space & now it's time to share that space again.

I still haven't started on flying circuits, because the winds have been too heavy. I even switched from afternoons (after work) to first thing in the morning, when the weather is usually very calm. Got out there on Tuesday, did the daily checks on the plane, fired it up, checked in on the ATIS (Airport Terminal Information Service), only to find that the winds were up around 18 knots. As Tony joked to someone as we parked the plane on the apron, OK for the student, just too rough for the instructor. He's a funny bugger sometimes.

Meanwhile, I'm working on things like getting a storage unit so that we can clear out the little garage downstairs & start using it as a mini workshop, clearing out my wardrobe of old jocks, socks & shirts so that there is room to put some of Julie's clothes in there, & generally getting Stewie's room organised, now that his bed has FINALLY arrived. Actually he gave up waiting for the one via his mate & went out & bought one. And Julie has started going through her stuff, she already has a tentative quote from a removalist, she's waiting for the certified copy of our marriage certificate to arrive from Vegas so that she can formally put in a name change, & we're still hanging around waiting for the visa approval. Apparently, if it's applied for outside Australia, she needs to be outside Australia when it's approved. Which is pretty silly when you think about it, not knowing when it will be approved. We figure we'll just go ahead anyway & move her here, & if it's still not approved by Christmas, she'll go & stay with her friend in New Zealand for a while. But I figure it'll come through in time, because when you put it out to the universe, .... don't insult the universe by doubting. I have a young friend in Victoria who put it out to the universe, went to a wedding in Townsville & fell in love with the best man, who comes from Darwin & is in the process of moving to Hobart!

Well I finally made it onto the circuit. Landed rather heavily twice out of two.

And went to the Canberra Hospital Heart to Heart Ball, with proceeds going to the Organ Donation Awareness Foundation. Had a great time & did manage to make it home safely.

Circuits are now progressing, as the weather allows. One day last week, it was the worst wind that Tony has seen out there in the 4 years he's been with the school. The smaller commercial aircraft were forced to use the short runway, because the cross wind on the main one was too strong for them. I did manage to get in a quite reasonable landing, so now I know what it feels & looks like.

Stewart & I have also acquired a puppy, a miniature dachshund, which is something that he has wanted to do for a couple of years. His name is Datsun. Very small & very cute, & of course toilet training is the hard part.

And to finish off the month, news from Julie that her visa application has been approved! Now all we have to do is to get her name changed & we're ready to move on with the packing & moving phase. What a relief! And we're working on finding a house for the 3 of us here, either now & move into it in December, or after Julie arrives & we can go looking together. 

This month's photos

Next month's newsletter